When it comes to keeping your beard trimmed and neat, it seems like the options are endless. Aside from using scissors (and let’s face it, we’re well into the 21st century – there’s no need to use scissors), there is virtually no end of products designed to cut, trim, and sculpt your facial hair. How do you decide which product will have you putting your best beard forward? Are the more expensive options worth it? Can a cheap trimmer do the job? While many inexpensive grooming products aren’t worth the few bucks you toss at them, the Conair Beard Trimmer proves that thrifty and effective can go hand in hand.
Conair Beard Trimmer Review
Photo credit by: amazon.com
The Conair Beard Trimmer – or more precisely, the Conair Man Beard & Mustache Trimmer – is a corded, low-priced beard trimmer. This is not an electric shaver. If you’re looking for a close shave to hit the office smooth-faced and shining, you’re in the wrong spot. As opposed to electric razors, beard trimmers are designed for men who want to keep some facial hair, but also keep it under control.
Beard trimmers have a motorized “comb” style blade and several attachments that allow you to adjust the length of your beard and keep it consistent across your face. Many are cordless and can be plugged in overnight to charge, while others, like the Conair Beard Trimmer, must be plugged in to use.
What is a Conair Beard Trimmer?
The Conair Beard Trimmer is designed for men who want to keep their beard neat and trimmed without trimming down their wallet. Although the Conair Beard Trimmer is by far the lowest-priced trimmer on this list, it is not a “budget” trimmer. This product holds a 4.2-star rating on Amazon, and users consistently tout its reliability.
The Conair Man Beard & Mustache Trimmer is a no-frills trimmer for your facial hair. But don’t let the plain look, lack of fancy features, or low price fool you. This is a solid trimmer that, despite a few drawbacks, earns a solid reputation for being reliable and an excellent value.
The Conair Beard Trimmer comes with three combs – two for precision cutting along the jawline, and one with five adjustable settings for different beard lengths. The motor is powerful, and since this trimmer doesn’t run on a battery, it won’t weaken while you’re trimming. The blade is made of stainless steel and is easy to remove for cleaning. Everything about this product is simple, but well designed and well built.
The most noticeable drawback of the Conair Beard Trimmer is the lack of a battery. The trimmer has to be plugged in to be used. While this may be a sore point for some users, it contributes to the product’s low price point, and some users have even lauded this as a “feature,” touting the fact that they don’t have to remember to charge it overnight or remember to pack the charger when traveling. Certainly, some trimmers that rely on a battery have a problem holding a full charge throughout an entire grooming session, so these users may have a point.
Beard trimmers can be found all over the place – at big-box retailers like Walmart or Target, in drug stores such as CVS or Walgreens, and of course online. Amazon hosts just about any kind of beard trimmer you could want. The products we’ve reviewed here range anywhere from around $13 up to the $60 range. What we’ve found in our research is that more expensive definitely does not automatically mean better. In fact, the “no bells and whistles” design of the Conair Beard Trimmer, the most inexpensive product on this list, consistently holds a rating on Amazon as high or higher than its higher-priced competitors.
How it Compares
We picked a couple of similar products available on the market to see how they compare.
- Philips Norelco Beard Trimmer Series 7200, Vacuum-Trimmer
- Wahl Clipper Stainless Steel Lithium Ion Plus Beard Trimmers
- Braun BT3040 Men’s Ultimate Hair Clipper
Conair Man Beard & Mustache Trimmer
- Corded Beard and Mustache Trimmer: A man's face is his statement and whether you're going bold look or staying subdued...
- Easy Precision: This corded electric shaver features a stainless steel removable blade for easy cleaning and includes 3...
- Respect The Ritual: Don't crack under the pressure to look good; ConairMAN has beard trimmers, home barbering kits,...
Ease of Use
Ease of Cleaning
- Good for close trims
- Great quality considering the very low price tag
- The blade is easy to remove for cleaning
- Powerful motor
- No cordless option
- Blades are not as sharp as some competitors
- Can take several passes to trim beard
Philips Norelco Beard Trimmer Series 7200, Vacuum-Trimmer
- The integrated vacuum system catches up to 90% of cut hair for less mess. The high-velocity motor and fan system creates...
- With innovative lift & trim technology, the trimmer effectively lifts and guides hairs for a more efficient cut
- The self-sharpening steel blades are designed to effectively cut each hair perfectly, preventing skin irritation, and...
The Philps Norelco Series 7200 is a powerful and versatile trimmer with some great features built into it. This trimmer cuts hair like a beast, using what Phillips Norelco calls “lift and trim technology,” meaning you can usually get your trimming done in one pass rather than having to go over the same part of your face over and over again.
Couple that with the trimmer’s built-in vacuum, and you have a quick and efficient trimming system. The vacuum sucks up most of the hair clippings, meaning you have to spend less time cleaning the sink after your shave.
The unit also features 20 different length settings, easily controlled by turning the zoom wheel, meaning that no matter what your beard style is, you’ll be able to shape it quickly and efficiently. Lengths are offered in 0.5 mm increments, from 0.5 mm to 10mm.
The unit is cordless, but can also be used plugged in. This often overlooked feature is great for those who occasionally forget to charge their trimmer.
With all the good that this product offers, there are some significant drawbacks. The container that holds your hair clippings also houses part of the rotor which means hairs will get caught in the moving parts. The unit comes with a brush that can be used for cleaning the rotors, but the process can be time-consuming and cleaning the rotors thoroughly may not be possible. This means that over time, the vacuum feature can end up clogging up the moving parts in the razor. This design oversight is one significant negative tick in the design column.
The other drawback to the 7200 is that the plastic arms that hold the different attachments in place tend to be fragile. While the overall casing for the product is significantly durable, if you’re not gentle with it these plastic components will break making the attachments difficult or impossible to use.
While the Philips Norelco Beard Trimmer Series 7200 delivers a good trim and has great extra features, for the price we would expect something a little more durable and well-designed.
Ease of Use
Ease of Cleaning
- Vacuum catches most of the hair clippings, making cleanup simpler
- 20 Easy to adjust length settings
- Use cordless or plugged in
- Features a precision trimmer
- Trimmer attachments can break relatively easily
- Hairs collected by the vacuum can get caught in rotors
Wahl Clipper Stainless Steel Lithium Ion Plus Beard Trimmers for Men
- Self-Sharpening Precision Blades - Patented technology provides superior cutting for all hair types & length. The blades...
- Complete Grooming System - 4 multipurpose attachments are perfect for all facial hair styles: T-Blade, Detail Shaver,...
- Dual Voltage - This cordless beard and hair trimmer for men is equipped with a long-running lithium ion rechargeable...
The Wahl Clipper Stainless Steel Lithium Ion Plus Beard Trimmer is a solid product with a professional look and feel and is made in America by a company that has earned its reputation for manufacturing quality products and keeping their customers satisfied. This trimmer comes with several attachments and five different blades, including:
- T-Blade for general grooming
- Detail shaver
- Thinner detail trimmer
- Ear, nose, and brow trimmer
This trimmer offers a clean, consistent trim for any place on the body, head to toe, that needs grooming. While this product isn’t without its flaws – customers have noted that the power button can sometimes fail – the Stainless Steel Lithium Ion Plus Beard Trimmer lives up to the Wahl name.
The Wahl trimmer has one fantastic and often missing feature for travelers. The charger supports dual voltage – both 110v and 220v – meaning if you find yourself in a country that uses a different voltage, you won’t be stuck with no way to charge your trimmer. If you’re planning on taking your beard trimmer on international trips, this is a feature you shouldn’t ignore.
In fact, Wahl seems to have taken special care to make sure you’re never without a charge. If, like many users, you find that you’ve forgotten to charge your trimmer, the unit comes with a “quick charge” feature, which allows you to charge the trimmer for one minute in order to get three minutes of use. It’s a great feature in a pinch.
Another often overlooked feature is Wahl’s customer service. Reviewers have consistently commented that when they call customer service, they actually get a human being on the phone (a rarity these days) and are usually able to solve any issues they may have with the trimmer with ease.
Ease of Use
Ease of Cleaning
- Dual voltage for use in different countries
- Includes ear and nose trimmer
- 4-hour lithium ion batter life
- 1-minute “quick-charge” feature
- Self-sharpening blades actually stay sharp
- Charging connector can wear down
- Power button sometimes fails to turn clipper off without plugging in
- Not as powerful as some other models
Braun BT3040 Men’s Ultimate Hair Clipper
- 39 precision length settings in 0.5 millimeters steps provide precise results no matter your beard style
- 2 combs, from 0.5 to 20 millimeter, provide flexibility and 100 percent control of your style; This also comes with a...
- Ultimate precision with lifetime lasting sharp blades; The Braun beard trimmer automatically adapts to any voltage...
Coming it at around half the price of some of its competitors, the Braun BT3040 Men’s Ultimate Hair Clipper may not quite deserve the title of “ultimate,” but it is a consistent and reliable trimmer, if not quite as powerful as some of the competition.
The major criticism of this BT3040 is that the motor just isn’t that strong. Trimming a beard can take several passes before the length is even, and this process can take even longer if you have coarse hair. However, the blades tend to stay sharp for as long as those models that cost twice as much, and the power, while nothing to write home about, doesn’t diminish as quickly as some other trimmers.
Like the Wahl trimmer above, the Braun BT3040 adapts to voltages between 100v and 240v, making this unit ideal for international travel.
Ease of Use
Ease of Cleaning
- 39 length settings
- No need to change attachments
- Adaptable voltage
- Takes several passes to trim longer beards
- Relative slow motor
- Adjustable guard can slip, changing the length of cut
- Short battery life at full power
Beard trimmers run the gamut when it comes to quality, and this list is a good illustration of that. The Philips Norelco Beard Trimmer Series 7200, Vacuum-Trimmer is the biggest disappointment on this list. While it comes with some really neat features, the propensity for the attachment arms to break and the poor design of the chamber that holds hair clippings leaves it wanting.
Of the beard trimmers we’ve reviewed, two stand out as solid products that will not leave users with buyer’s remorse. If the price is important, the Wahl Clipper Stainless Steel Lithium Ion Plus Beard Trimmer is a solid choice with a lot of great features. However, when considering the difference in cost, the Conair Beard Trimmer can’t be beaten. For less than a third of the price of many of its competitors, the Conair does everything it’s supposed to do reliably and consistently, earning it a solid 5 out of 5 stars from us.
Last update on 2021-06-22 at 17:58 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API