The Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 is an entry-level electric shaver. It applies rotary mechanism to offer a close, clean, and smooth shave. While it is missing in a number of features fitted in premium electric shavers, it is a great unit when you need to shave dry or wet. If you understand what you need in an electric shaver, this unit will deliver great results. Its construction is reminiscent of other shavers from Philips Norelco; it sports a convenient geometry for comfortable use. Its curved handle fits snugly on all hands; this is especially important when you need to shave for a long period.
One of the highlights of this shaver is in its 4-direction flex heads. These heads give the shaver versatility, letting you shave close without discomfort. Besides the fact that you cannot shave a long beard, this shaver has some good features, making it easy to use and ensuring it performs optimally.
Features and Main Uses
The Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 was engineered for shaving beards and facial hair. However, its design makes it a suitable choice for use on other parts of the body such as the legs and arms as well. Ergo, it can be used by men and women.
Designed with close cut blades fitted on four direction flex heads, the Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 lets you shave smooth without having to repeat strokes for more than a few times. The blades are ultra-sharp, allowing you to shave fast and with ease. To meet the standards of other shavers in its category, the unit is fully washable. It is designed waterproof for dry and wet shaves. After shaving, you can rinse it in warm running water. While the blades are rust and corrosion resistant, a protection cap designed to protect the blades accompanies it.
You are offered a pop-up trimmer to shape your beard by trimming it to different lengths. At the middle of the unit, a LED display shows you the status of your battery; when it needs charging, when fully charged, and when it is charging. The battery takes 8 hours to charge fully and offers up to 35 minutes of cordless use. You can simply pop the head open to rinse under the tap. Operating the machine is easy as all you need to do is push the single button on it.
While Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 is an entry-level electric shaver, it has a number of features that up its performance. Overall, the unit does not compromise on performance. Some of its highpoints include:
- Affordable Price: Unlike other units from Philips Norelco, the 2100 comes at an affordable price. The accessories of the shaver, such as replacement heads, are also not expensive and they last long. Coupled with the high quality construction, the unit offers you great value for money.
- Ergonomic Design: The Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 is compact and sports a balanced weight. This makes it comfortable to use especially if you shave for more than a few minutes. The curved design makes it comfortable to use as it fits on your hand cozily. While it is offered with a smooth grip, it does not slip during use even when you are shaving wet.
- Fast and Powerful Motor: When you need a fast shave, the Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 is fitted with a powerful and fast motor to let you shave smoothly within a few minutes. The motor of the unit is also engineered durable, letting you use it for long. All you need to do is change the blades when they get dull.
- Easy to Use: When you need to replace the head, you only need to pop out the head and place the new one. The shaver features a single button, the power button. It is also easy to maintain as you can wash it in running water after use.
- LED Display: The LED display fitted on this shaver makes it easy to monitor when charging and during use. This makes it easy when you need to travel with the shaver and need to have it fully charged.
Besides the above advantages, you are offered a generous 2-year warranty and you can return shavers that do not live up to the manufacturer’s claims.
While the Philips Norelco Electric Shaver 2100 performs well, it still has a few weaknesses that reduce its performance. Some of the aspects that would need improvement include:
- Poor Battery: If you are planning to buy this unit for travel, it will disappoint you. It lasts only up to 35 minutes when fully charged. While this is great for home use, you will only shave a few times when you are hiking or camping and need to shave on the go. Even when the unit lasts short on battery, it takes up to eight hours to charge fully.
- Only Operates Cordless: This is a safety feature on most shavers, but for a Lithium Ion battery that takes up to 8 hours to charge, it feels like too much. When plugged in, the unit does not switch on at all.
- The protective head cap fall off: The protective cap was meant to protect the head of your shaver, it fall off when you place it in your bag.
You are offered enough accessories to get you started. The unit is accompanied by a charger, a trimmer head and a carry bag. When the blades get dull, you will need to replace them.
While this shaver has a number of shortcomings, users have observed that it performs pretty well especially given its price. It allows you to shave close and smooth and also trim your beard to different lengths. During operation, the machine operates quietly and smoothly. Whether you are shaving wet or dry, you will have a good experience.
While there are a few weaknesses that users have observed, the overall construction and performance of the unit is great.
This shaver/trimmer has a number of pros and cons, but its performance is still impressive. Though it is an introductory model, a few improvements should place it on top of the competition. Simple weaknesses such as not shaving when charger is connected can easily be bypassed. However, razors with self-sharpening blades are offered at a relatively high price. This makes the Philips Norelco 2100, a good unit for the price. You can use it to groom on-the-go, not only for your beard, but for other parts of the body as well. When used right, it does not result to razor burns, nicks, and cuts. It is suitable for all beard types.