The Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 comes as an all-inclusive set for dry and wet shaving. The set allows you to groom your beard, your mustache, sideburns and head. This makes it one of the most versatile pieces from Philips Norelco. To do all that, the unit is offered with seven unique attachments, giving you the freedom to shave and shape your hair just the way you want. The combs offered have up to 18 built-in length settings. You can, therefore, trim your hair to the exact length you need to achieve a given style.
Among the highpoints of this shaver is its self-sharpening blades made of finely ground steel. The blades ensure you get a long-lasting performance. Each blade sports rounded blade tips, making them skin friendly and, in turn, reducing skin irritation and razor burn. The motor of the shaver features a turbo boost feature that delivers fast results even when used on thick hair. You are offered all accessories you need to shave clean and smooth, or trim your hair to a given style.
Features and Main Users
The main strength of this shaver lies in the high number of attachments that allow you to shave or trim precisely. First in the list of attachments is a full size metal trimmer offered with up to 18 adjustable lengths, between 1 mm and 18 mm. This shaves beards to an even length. Second, the package features a precision trimmer to create fine lines, contours and beard details. A nose and ear trimmer, with a narrow head lets you remove unwanted hair easily from the ears and the nose. Like the other trimmers, the nose trimmer is fitted with rounded-tip blades to reduce nicks and cuts.
Another handy attachment is a detail foil shaver, which lets your remove hair in hard-to-reach areas such as the chin and the neck. The design of most shavers allow them to shave only beards, but the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 comes with a hair comb that lets you shave your hair to different lengths. This comb has up to 18 different length settings, from 3mm to 20mm, with a millimeter between each setting. If you know how to shave, this comb comes in handy.
A stubble comb included in the package lets you trim your stubble precisely. Again, you can adjust the length of the stubble comb from a minimum of 1mm to a maximum of 12 mm with a millimeter between each length. The Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 runs on a lithium-ion battery. The battery delivers one hour of cordless shaving after charging for one hour. You can also quick-charge it for 5 minutes to enjoy a full trim.
Turbo power lets you cut through the thickest hair with great ease. When you have a long and dense beard or hair, you can increase the cutting speed of the machine to shave with ease. The unit is waterproof, letting you shave wet or dry.
The Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 has created a name in the shaving industry. While it still has a few weaknesses, it is designed with high-quality features for any spruced-up man. Its highlights include:
- Self-Sharpening Blades: While most blades today are self-sharpening, the blades of this model are two times better. The feature keeps them sharp with two or three years of use. Seeing that the blades are made of ground steel, they are long lasting and the head will not need replacement in a couple of years. In fact, the manufacturer offers a two-year warranty.
- Great Geometry: The Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 sports the design and length of other shavers in the Multigroom series. It tapers towards the handle end with a smooth grip. The power and turbo buttons are centrally located for convenience.
- Reasonable Price: Not many self-sharpening and versatile blades shavers are offered at the same price as this unit. It is a budget-friendly unit for those who know what they are looking for. Plus, it is offered with all the attachments needed and you do not have to spend an extra coin.
- Travel-Friendly: You are offered a travel pouch, letting you carry your shaver when you are traveling. Again, the unit is lightweight and relatively compact, making it fit well in your backpack or suitcase when you are traveling.
- Highly Durable: Each of the attachments sports a long-lasting construction with metal or high-quality plastic. This lets you use the unit for a long time without the need to buy replacement parts. The shaver and the blades are also highly durable.
Like other shavers, the Philips Norelco Multigroom 5100 has a number of aspects that could use an improvement including:
- No battery indicator: Your battery will just go off without warning. This is a drawback especially seeing that most units nowadays are offered with a battery indicator. Again, you will have to time the unit when you are charging, seeing that it does not indicate when the battery is full.
- Lots of plastic parts: Even though the unit is long lasting, there are lots of plastic parts including the combs and the body of the unit, thereby, reducing its overall durability.
- Not easy to clean: This shaver seems to have lots of crevices and open places where hair and dirt get stuck. Even though it is waterproof, it still poses a cleaning problem. Again, the manufacturer does not offer a cleaning brush.
To find out if these weaknesses really matter for you, make sure to also check out our step by step guide to men’s grooming!
The Multigroom 5100 is offered with seven separate attachments, for precision shaving and versatility. Besides, you are offered a charger and a travel pouch. You might need to buy a cleaning brush for cleaning in between the comb prongs.
Users have applauded the performance of this unit, especially given the high number of attachments, each geared towards making it convenient for you to shave. The ergonomic design of the unit has also been mentioned, seeing that it allows users to shave with ease. Lastly, the Multigroom 5100 is offered at a great price, making it affordable for all.
Even with the praises, a number of users have complained of the plastic construction of the unit that reduces its functional life.
Philips Norelco offers you a 2-year warranty on this unit and even allows you to return shavers that do not live up to the manufacturer’s specifications, including those with design defects. This shows how much the manufacturer trusts the features and performance of this machine. Overall, this machine offers you value for money and lets you shave precisely without struggle. You can use it on any part of the body including legs and arms.
What’s your take on the Multigroom 5100?