Guys have a bit of a reputation for taking the easy route when it comes to grooming products, so trying to pick the best shampoo for men can be tricky. Men appreciate a 3-in-1 deal just to save themselves the hassle of having to pick up three different shower products. They will borrow their girlfriend's shampoo and not think twice about it. Some have even committed the transgression of using bar soap to wash their hair! (Bad idea, unless you want your scalp to feel like the Sahara desert.)
But when it comes to men's hair care routine, it's actually important for a guy to have a product that corresponds to his individual needs. Not all shampoo is made of the same stuff. The male scalp is greasier than a women's, requiring a different formula. Men also need to consider things like hair thinning and dandruff.
All these factors can make picking a good shampoo quite confusing. Shampoo comes in a variety of formulas, fragrances and for a broad range of hair types from fine, to curly, to frizzy. This is why we created the 10 Best Shampoo For Men in 2018 list. We want to make it easier for you gents to read up on the major products circling the market and formulate your own opinion regarding what will work best for you.
What is Shampoo for Men?
Shampoo for men is a liquid substance designed specifically for washing hair. Some shampoos are even designed to wash facial hair.
What Should I Look for in a Good Shampoo?
A good shampoo cleanses hair without stripping it of protective oils. Oils are an important part of a healthy head of hair, and a healthy scalp.
Where Is the Best Place to Buy Shampoo?
The shampoo products we reviewed are available on Amazon and in many drugstores.
The prices range anywhere from $10 to $45.
How We Reviewed The Best Shampoo for Men
We scoured the internet for products made by solid brands, that had great customer reviews, and corresponded to a variety of men's hair issues in order to bring you the most comprehensive list of best shampoo for men.
Overall Price Range Of This Product
The price of shampoo depends on how much you want out of it. If you'd like an organic option that deals with multiple hair issues, you might be looking at anywhere from $30-$60. If you're happy with a less extravagant product that works well enough but isn't fancy, you can get a decent shampoo for anywhere from $10 to $30.
What We Reviewed
- TEA TREE OIL: As you clear your head under the relaxing warm water of your shower, the cooling infusion of tea tree oil...
- INVIGORATING: Designed specifically for the modern man who demands the best, Krieger + Söhne's Invigorating shampoo...
- RELAX, REFRESH, RECHARGE: To keep being the warrior you are you need to relax, refresh and recharge.
- You will receive a Pack of (2) Head and Shoulders Old Spice Pure Sport 2 in 1 Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner for Men,...
- Head & Shoulders Old Spice Pure Sport 2-in-1 anti-dandruff shampoo + conditioner gets rid of dandruff (1) with a manly...
- No.1 dermatologist recommended dandruff brand
- Trusted Lipogaine Natural Ingredients Based Hair Stimulating shampoo, Strengthen & Nourish Hair and Help Prevent Hair...
- Powerful blend of Biotin, Caffeine, Argan Oil, Castor oil and Saw Palmetto for The Best Volume and Looking of Your Hair
- Premium Organic Ingredients, Free of Harsh Chemicals.
- ARGAN OIL SHAMPOO restores hydration and health to damaged hair. Therapeutic grade shampoo contains an all-natural...
- REPLENISH HAIR is a bio restorative complex of vitamins minerals and antioxidants which repair damage and promote thick...
- PROMOTES HAIR GROWTH argan oil regrowth moisturizes hair and improves elasticity. Sulfate free shampoo for dry damaged...
- Before using Absolute Clean hair and skin are dry from the effects of the environment and/or an active lifestyle.
- After using Absolute Clean hair and skin are left clean, conditioned and refreshed.
- Absolute Clean Hair & Body Wash cleanses and conditions hair while keeping skin soft and revitalized.
- Clinically proven to hydrate the scalp
- Helps restore the natural moisture balance of the scalp
- Clear men scalp therapy is specially formulated with bio-nutrium 10 a blend of 10 nutrients and botanical actives,...
- Cleans hair, invigorates scalp
- Lather up and massage into scalp to promote healthy hair and rinse
- Sunflower see and lemongrass extracts along with menthol contribute to healthy hair
The Verdict - Which is the Best Shampoo for Men?
So, which is the best shampoo for men? When trying to create this list of the best shampoo for men we took into consideration the many factors that go into men's hair concerns. If you're suffering from hair loss, the Lipogaine Hair Growth Stimulating All Natural Shampoo for Hair Thinning & Breakage might the best pick for you. If you're looking for a shampoo that will improve your dry scalp, you might want to try the CLEAR Men Scalp and Hair Deep Clean Hydration Shampoo.
When picking the right shampoo, consider these factors:
What Am I Trying to Get Out of This Shampoo?
Pinpoint your problem areas. Are you trying to find something you can use on your hair every day, or are you trying to find a product that will get rid of your dandruff? Figure out what you want your shampoo to achieve before you set out to pick one.
What is my Hair Texture?
Hair texture is important. Thick and frizzy hair will need a different type of formula from fine hair.
What is My Scalp Condition?
You might not even think of your scalp as part of your shampoo routine, but it is. It's important to realize how your shampoo will react with your scalp. First, figure out if you have an oily or dry scalp. Your shampoo pick will depend on that.
Learn What Different Shampoo Terms Mean
Terms like "hydrating" and "moisturizing" mean the shampoo is great for making your hair look more healthy by adding shine and moisture to it.
These should be avoided by those with oily scalps and used by those with curls or more coarse hair. Any shampoo with the term "volumizing" will help out those with fine and limp hair.
These products provide moisture without weighing already fine hair down. Terms like "strengthening" or "fortifying" signal that this is a good shampoo for those who have weak or brittle hair, perhaps hair that has been chemically damaged or dyed.
If you see the word "balancing" then the shampoo is good for those who have a mixed oily/dry type scalp and hair. It won't be too moisturizing or too drying. Shampoo that's designated for "curly hair" will provide a lot of moisture and frizz reduction. It should not be used on fine hair.
Don't let the shampoo aisle intimidate you with its endless options and choices. The variety of products on the market can be overwhelming.
But if you can narrow down your hair and scalp type as well as whatever hair conditions you want your shampoo to help you with, you can go in with a good idea of exactly the type of shampoo you need, which will make the experience quicker and less daunting.
Keep in mind that sometimes splurging on shampoo is worth it. After all, hair and hair loss is one of the most sensitive topics for men. Treating your hair with the correct product can help mitigate hair loss and hair thinning.
If you already have fine and brittle hair, buying the cheapest shampoo will guarantee that you're drying out your scalp and stripping your hair of important nutrients and oils it requires to stay strong. So sometimes that investment is worth it.
If you're hesitant about purchasing an expensive shampoo on your own, or you have trouble pinning down your hair and scalp texture, talk to your hair stylist and ask them to guide you to some products that might be worth splurging on for your hair.
Overall, the best shampoo for men is the one that addresses each individual man's hair concerns. We hope our guide will make it easier to keep your scalps moisturized and your hair clean!